Still, if we need such expressions most when life is at its worst, that hardly means they can't apply as well in less dire circumstances. So I think it's a good meditation for Thanksgiving Day and probably for the rest of the year. I actually went through the hymn not long ago to pull out some lines that might be useful to memorize for various occasions. In some Jewish prayer books there is a section of short blessings to be said in situations that might come up as we go through our daily lives. I thought it would be nice to have something comparable to work with, though admittedly I haven't thought much about it since.
Anyway, here's the list I came up with. (Certainly there could be others.) A few bracketed items were actually drawn from other blessings, but most of what's here is from the Akathist.
- Feast: Glory to Thee for the feast of life!
- [Bread: Glory to Thee, who didst bless the five loaves and didst therewith feed the five thousand!
- Meat: Glory to Thee, who didst command the fatted calf to be slain for thy son who had gone astray, and who had returned again to Thee!]
- Fruit: Glory to Thee for the delightful diversities of berries and of fruits!
- [Wine: Glory to Thee, who permittest the fruit of the vine to come to maturity!
- Other: Glory to Thee, the Creator and Maker of all things!]
- Flowers: Glory to Thee for the perfume of lilies-of-the-valley and of roses!
- Other: Glory to Thee Who hast brought forth from the earth’s darkness diverse colours, taste, and fragrance!
- Morning: Glory to Thee for the diamond brilliance of morning dew!
- Sunrise: Glory to Thee for the smile of light awakening!
- Meditation: Glory to Thee for the happiness of living, moving, and meditating!
- Manual Labor: Glory to Thee for the vivifying power of labour!
- Service: Glory to Thee, Who transfigurest our life by good deeds!
- Reward for Service: Glory to Thee, Who dost vouchsafe great rewards for precious good deeds!
- Sunset: Glory to Thee for the farewell rays of the setting sun!
- Evening: Glory to Thee in the tender hour of evening!
- Night: Glory to Thee for Thy favour in the darkness, when all the world is distant!
- Sleep: Glory to Thee for the rest of grace-filled sleep!
- Family/Friends: Glory to Thee for the love of kindred, and the faithfulness of friends!
- Catechumen: Glory to Thee Who hast founded Thy Church as a quiet refuge for a spent world!
- Newly Illumined: Glory to Thee Who renewest us by the life-giving waters of baptism!
- Secular Thinker: Glory to Thee for the genius of the human mind!
- Scripture/Saint: Glory to Thee for the fiery tongues of inspiration!
- Other People: Glory to Thee for providential meetings with people!
- Domestic Animals: Glory to Thee for the meekness of animals which serve me!
- Wild Animals: Glory to Thee, for the thousands of Thy creatures Thou hast set round about us!
- Nature: Glory to Thee Who hast revealed unto me the beauty of the universe!
- Science: Glory to Thee Who hast shown Thine unfathomable power in the laws of the universe!
- Revelation: Glory to Thee for all that Thou hast revealed unto us by Thy goodness!
- Mystery: Glory to Thee for all that Thou hast concealed in Thy wisdom!
- Grief: Glory to Thee, Who sendest failures and sorrows, that we might pity the sufferings of others!
- Passage of Grief: Glory to Thee Who curest sorrows and bereavements with the healing passage of time!
- Confession: Glory to Thee, Who restorest to penitents purity as a spotless lily!
- Providence: Glory to Thee for providential coincidence of circumstances!